Thursday, May 20, 2010

More surgery information

Well, I still don't have a date for my surgery but some of my questions were answered today.

I will be having both surgeries (exchange of expanders with implants and hysterectomy) at the same time. The plastic surgeon does not think the risks of infection outweigh the benefits of having only one surgery.

The anatomically correct implants are not available here in the US except for clinical trials, so I will be getting the big fat round implants. Hopefully they won't look too fake.

They're going to look to see if they can keep my new foobs out of my arm-pits, but still give good aesthetic results.

Once I have my hysterectomy I will not be able to take hormone replacement therapy b/c of my breast cancer status. However, I'm not certain I would have wanted it anyway... I've made it this long without putting extra hormones in my body!

Hopefully everything is a go for either the 6th or 13th of July. I'm not 100% sure when I'll actually get scheduled, but I hope its soon. I just can't wait to be finished.

I realized something the other day... July is a big month for my family - my birthday on the 1st, my mom's on the 2nd, the 4th, one of my aunt & uncle's anniversary on the 13th, and then my little brother's & cousin's birthday on the 27th. However, in 2006 July took on another couple of honors - its the month Andrew proposed to me and its the month when mom finished her chemotherapy. We're not 100% sure of the exact date any more, but I'm fairly certain it was w/n the 1st two weeks. Well, last year July took a down-turn 1st with my diagnosis on the 7th. However, it also was a time of joy w/ the discovery that Rachel was going to be a girl on the 10th. This year I hope to do July the honor of being the month when I finally FINISH this battle. Even if I'm still recovering from surgery, I will be as safe as medically possible from cancer. Its time for July to redeem itself again! Let hope & pray it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!