Monday, April 18, 2011

How much is too much?

If you're a follower of mine, you'll know that I'm constantly wondering and/or pushing the limits of how much is too much. I struggle on the one hand to fulfill my obligations and on the other to do "extra" things that make life easier for me or some one else. I have a hard time self-limiting my activites and even my thoughts. As a matter of fact, I think this one of the lessons I'm STILL working on mastering from my cancer journey.

My husband is reticent about broadcasting what he considers personal information. He is the master of either avoiding answering/talking or gives the most simple answers possible. On the other hand, I struggle to know exactly what other people want to hear from me. When someone greets you and says, "How are you doing?" do you give a simple answer like "fine" or a more elaborate one that details some of your struggles, triumphs, weaknesses, and strengths?

I tend to be a talker for one thing. I generally tend to feel the need to explain myself a lot. I also feel compelled to share my journey - particularly the most harrowing parts. These harrowing parts include: the death of close members of my family (both grandmothers, an uncle, a great-grandfather, etc all within a relatively short time period of a bout 2 years), the death of my first fiance (first boyfriend of two), 4 miscarriages with one with serious complications, chemotherapy while pregnant, more chemotherapy after delivery, bilateral mastectomies with expander reconstruction, bilateral oophorectomy with severe surgical complications, emergency hysterectomy, surgical menopause problems including absent mindedness, hot flashes, and panic attacks, a week-long stay in the hospital with my miracle baby due to stomach virus induced dehydration, and a husband that suffers from anxiety and back problems. I feel that my harrowing experiences can help others deal with theirs. As I read that statement, I realize that it sounds as if I believe I'm super-woman and/or extraordinary. Actually, that's not true, its just that I know my experiences have not been the 'norm' -- especially for women my age. Therefore, I think I've learned some things through these experiences, that other women -- especially those close to my age or even younger -- can benefit from hearing about. I have also been told by numerous people that I put a very positive spin on my experiences. Some people have even told me that hearing/knowing what I've been through has helped them put a positive spin on their own challenges.

So this weekend I was at the Tot, Teen, & Wardrobe consignment sale and found myself chatting with various people (typically women) about my journey with cancer while pregnant and my motherhood since then. It is not my intention to get pity or kudos for the challenges God has put to me. Instead, it feels like my mission -- dictated by God and the Holy Spirit -- to spread the word about the possibility of maintaining a pregnancy while undergoing chemotherapy. I will also confess that it is somewhat cathartic to tell my story. Every time I share my journey, I realize how far I've come. I also realize that the small day-to-day struggles I (everyone?) faces pale in comparison to the big struggles I've fought.

However, I know that some people -- especially those who are faced with different challenges -- sometimes feel that my challenges over-shadow their own. These people feel uncomfortable complaining of their own challenges -- even when their own challenges are tremendous. I also know/fear that some people simply do not want to hear such long drawn-out answers to superficial questions.

Something else I think sharing my story does is shine God's light. I was/am truly blessed to have been given God's help through my struggles. I was/am truly blessed to have assistance from family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers. Without the assistance of all of the above, I could NOT have survived and thrived as I have. I try to always mention that fact when sharing my journey. The journey was arduous, but with so many hands clasped in prayer and offered in assistance, how could I do anything but survive and thrive? It's like the hymn, How Can I Keep from Singing. How can I keep my blessings amid challenges and the victory over these challenges through these blessings to myself? How can I NOT share God's wonderful gift to me with others?

So, please, tell me -- how much is too much when casually chatting with strangers?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!