Thursday, January 6, 2011

Worst news, bad news, better news, & best news...

I got a return call from Houston yesterday on the almost constant sharp shooting pains in my chest. The worst news is that these pains are most likely permanent. According to the physicians assistant, nerve damage from the mastectomy is the cause. Her explanation was that the nerves were damaged & as they try to grow back or get to normal they are 'set' on sending pain signals even when no pain causing stimulus is present. She said that some people have decent luck with massaging the area myself to try to 'reset' the nerves.

Another question I had asked her was about the almost constant soreness in my ribs, especially when I take a deep breath. The bad news is that for some reason I've got inflammation in the cartilage and lining of my ribs. She said I could try ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories. She said I could also use a warm compress, but to be very careful not to burn my unfeeling skin. Eventually it'll go away.

She also told me that expanders are just uncomfortable. My comment was, "This goes *WAY* beyond discomfort." Expanders are well known for being ugly & painful. The better news is that the 'real' implants look AND feel much better. Some of the issues will never go away, but will get better. I'll never really feel or look like I did before, but it will get better.

The best news she gave me was about finding a surgeon to do my exchange. She said that any board certified plastic surgeon should be more than able to do the exchange. I outlined the 2 results I know of & have seen from the doctor at the Sholar Center in Evansville. I voiced that I was fairly certain that if she could satisfy the 2 women I know who used her for their reconstruction, she should be able to make me happy. The PA said it sounded like it would indeed work. I asked her several questions about the procedure, but most of the answers she gave vary from doctor to doctor. My plan is to go into my consultation January 14th (after my oncology check-up that same day) with all my paper work filled out (downloaded from their website) and a written list of what I want to acheive with my reconstruction. If her ideas don't mesh with mine, I will have absolutely NO problem going somewhere else. Of course, it'll be the best if she works for me since she's only 45 minutes away from my house!

Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!