Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Pink does NOT represent me

Thankfully some light has recently been shed on the pink revolution. All pink ribbon products aren't bad or anything. However, IMO there is a significant overplaying of the whole issue. Yes, breast cancer is very common. Yes, breast cancer victims are deserving of respect and acknowledgement. However, we breast cancer survivors are not any better than any other cancer survivors. Just because breasts are right there 'in your face' does not make them more important than ovarian cancer, heart disease, skin cancer, or any other disease. I'm not 100% positive, but I think heart disease actually kills more US women than breast cancer does (I'm sure now). However, the human heart is not as sexy as breasts - therefore it doesn't get the same press.

At this point, I think *everyone* is aware of breast cancer. However, I think fewer people are aware of the massive amounts of money being made by so many of the 'breast cancer awareness' groups. I'm not talking about money that goes into research, I'm talking about actual money the organization makes and puts back into 'awareness'. Not to mention that some of this 'awareness' money is actually funding things that can *cause* or *increase the risk of* breast cancer. I think these organizations need a wake-up call from their donors. We are AWARE now, could you please actually start doing something to prevent, cure, or at least understand this disease? There are some groups that are promoting this mind-set. One is a blog called Think Before You Pink. Check out their tool-kit. There's another organization called KomenWatch. Another resource is UneasyPink. These groups are doing the homework most of us don't have the time or desire to do... If you are adamant about supporting the breast cancer movement - please look at what these other organizations have to say. I maintain that supporting individuals in your community, cancer centers in your community (places where cancer treatment actually happens), or doing your research is the best way to make sure your donations actually go to fighting the disease.

Thank you for all you've done for me - whether financially, physically, or spiritually. Regardless of the organization you supported in my name, I appreciate the thoughts, prayers, and actions of each & every one of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!