Monday, May 21, 2012

Gentle Improvements

Thankfully, today has been a better day. With medication every 4 ih ours (and not a second longer), my pain has finally gotten under control. The antibiotic must have packed quite a punch, because the pain I had while breathing is almost entirely gone. It is such a relief to be able to take a semi-deep breath again, although coughing, sneezing, or hiccups are still incredibly painful. Apparently, there is something in the back of my mind that's bothering me... Twice today I ended up re-organizing cabinets. I tend to do that when I have some niggling worry in the back of my mind. Obviously the benefits of such a compulsion (and that is exactly what it is) is wonderful. However, with one arm supposedly "resting" the detriment is costly. 

Physically, I can tell I'm improving, but I can also tell that I still have a long way to go. For instance, after having a decent morning with the kids and my parents, I had to go home and lay down for a nap. I don't usually nap at all, much less for 3 hours in the middle if the day! Then there's also this nagging sharp pain right under my left shoulder blade. Not matter how I try to gently stretch the affected area, I can't get any relief. Just an hour ago or so I suddenly hit some invisible wall. All the sudden I felt vilely ill for no reason I could imagine. Thankfully that has passed. I didn't ice my neck today, out of laziness, I guess. My mother- and father-in-law came over and could see the ugly swelling. I think my father-in-law was slightly disappointed that I didn't get to keep my rib to let him see/have. He did comment that "it's about time" women gave a rib back to Adam. I corrected him and said I gave mine to Adams, Dr. Adams! 

I am incredibly thankful to have learned so many physical therapy exercises for my arms and shoulders. Daily, I put them to practice, even when I'm in pain to to to relieve any pain caused by tight nerves, muscles, or misplaced joints. I'm also eternally grateful to have my parents, and Andrew's parents, so close. Being next door, my parents are available at all hours to take the kids should something unforeseen occur. It is also a tremendous blessing for me to be so emotionally as well as physically close to my parents. Sharing day-to-day struggles and successes, a glass of wine or low-ball of whiskey, the Eucharistic meal, the glories of gardening, and the laughter in comfortable harmony is something I don't think all people know to enjoy. Of course, Andrew likes to make snide comments about not enjoying the benefits of being next door to his in-laws, but it's all bluster... He secretly loves it.
I'm definitely no anatomical artist, but this is a bird's eye view of the important body parts of mine. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!