Thursday, August 19, 2010

Public speaking...

I'm in a somewhat unique situation since I went through cancer treatment while pregnant. Most people don't know or even understand that this can be accomplished. I've been contacted by two organizations as of now to speak about my blessing/curse. One is the local American Cancer Society's Making Strides against breast cancer breakfast on August 25th. The other is still in the 'maybe' stage - the "World's Biggest Baby Shower" in McLean County. I'm actually *really* excited. I would love to get my foot in the door & try to be an inspirational speaker sharing my story of life & love. I want people all over to realize that no one's life has to end when you're pregnant and diagnosed with a disease. I'd like some tips on how to realize this goal...

I would also absolutely love to write a book (short story?) about my blessing/curse. Its a secret dream of mine to be a writer. I *love* to read & would absolutely think it awesome if I could give others something to enjoy & maybe even inspire. I have to say that I've mostly thought about fiction, not non-fiction, but again, I'm more than willing to try to get my foot in the door. In other words, tips would be greatly appreciated for this endeavor too!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Hi Erika!

    I just read your reply on Babycenter about having another baby if you could...but are battling difficulties with cancer now. I followed your link to your blog. I wanted to let you know you are not alone. I wish we would have known of each other while we were pregnant, because I had Stage II Hodgkins' lymphoma while pregnant and also had my baby girl, Ruby-Claire in November! I just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and thinking of you during this time. I will keep up with your blog. Remember you're a Cancer Cowgirl kickin' its butt and it has got nothing on you! You are strong and capable!!

    Cortney Campbell
    cortneyw@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankss great post

    ReplyDelete

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!