Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Congregations vs. Cancer

Text in black is a direct cut & paste from the official bulletin insert for this program.
Text in green is my commentary, addition, and personal thoughts/opinions.
On Sunday, Aug. 28, churches in the Tri-State (IN, KY, IL) will participate in Congregations vs. Cancer Sunday  (the brain-child of a behind-the-scenes member of News25). On that day, we will pray for a cure for cancer and collect a special offering to go 100% towards research through the American Cancer Society. If you are not local to my Tri-State (IN, KY, IL), then your ACS branch will most likely not have a clue about this program. Therefore, you could also set aside a donation to give to a local cancer victim, local cancer program, or medical facility of your choice. I'm not 100% confident of the ACS's purity on life issues and funding to propose they should be the only benefactors of these donations. Please join us for this special day in which our church will move forward in faith and hope toward a cure.  Give in memory of someone you know who has lost a battle with cancer, give in honor of someone who is now fighting cancer or give so no one will hear the words “You have cancer” ever again.
“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen…” – 2 Corinthians 4:18
The American Cancer Society is involved in finding cures and has been since 1946. In that time, it has devoted around $4 billion toward research.  It has made many breakthroughs in the fight against cancer through detection (mammograms, PSA tests), identification (finding links to smoking and lung cancer, and discovering some cancer-causing genes) and treatment. A significant portion of typical donations to the ACS go to fund various other aspects of the organization and NOT toward research. Most cancer awareness organizations (Susan G. Komen in particular) use the moneies raised to pay office help, advertising fees, etc. I advise that you thoroughly research whichever organization you intend to gift with your hard-earned money BEFORE handing over a check.
Above all, prayers are absolutely necessary for those stricken with this horrible disease. It is only with God's help and judicious acceptance of assistance from family, friends, neighbors, & even strangers that ANY cancer victim makes it through day-by-day. Be sure to keep these unknown victims in your heart, soul, & mind as you pray. There are a LOT of us out in the world rubbing shoulders with 'normal' people daily. We appear 'normal' for the most part, but inside we have been irrevocably changed and may even suffer physically from this horrible disease. Please don't abandon your prayers for us when we appear 'normal', for often-times nothing could be further from the truth. Every night I (& many other cancer victims) pray in thanksgiving for the caring souls who support us physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Thank you & God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Chemo-Jane hair-style

My Chemo-Jane hair-style
I just had to have my mom buzz my hair because it was falling out so badly.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.

Pre-op wearing my hand-crocheted cap with my prayer shawl.
My loving husband is watching me distract myself with a game on his iPhone.

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs

2 days after my BMX w/ 100ccs in the TEs
I even have a fashionable belt to hold up my drains.

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE

3 weeks post-op w/ 400ccs in each TE
The smile is fake because the TEs were irritating!